Training Summary

Monday, October 29, 2012

Never Satisfied

First day back in the gym after the trip and bad cold.   It was a good one to re-enter on as it was mostly strength.   I think if it had been a hard metcon I would have coughed up a lung.   I have been thinking a lot about what makes people happy and whether I have a missing gene or something.   This isnt a new thing at all.   I can remember the first job I ever had the boss said - "you never satisfied" I thought that was a good thing at the time.   I would never settle and would push on and be willing to make sacrifices that others wouldnt.   I think Im still that way around goals.   Skip a party to train,  put more time in at work yep.   I was actually trying to justify this mindset by using a JFK quote over the weekend - "The ancient Greek definition of happiness was the full use of your powers along lines of excellence".   My wife called BS on that.  

2 Min Max Double Unders -

131.   Got about 90 in the first minute and then just couldnt get on a role.  Disappointed with that score.


1 Rep Max Front Squat -

10@135, 5@185, 1@225, 1@245, 1@265. 1@275, 1@285

New PR but not happy.  I loaded up the bar with 295 and just couldnt get comfortable after pulling it out of the rack to begin the lift.   Decided to call it quits.  Probably should have tried and failed.

1RM Max Shoulder Press

5@95. 3@115, 2@135, 1@145, 1@155, 1@165, F@170, F@170
New PR but really wanted 170

So I mentioned all the stuff at the beginning because although I hit two PRs Im more frustrated I didnt hit 295 and 170.   I guess I had better finish Clayton Christenson's book - "How will you measure your life?"   In the book he puts forth a series of fundamental questions everyone asks themselves at some point in their lives:
  • How can I be sure that I’ll find satisfaction in my career?
  • How can I be sure that my personal relationships become enduring sources of happiness?
  • How can I avoid compromising my integrity—and stay out of jail?
He seeks to answer these questions by presenting a way for each of us to think about our lives and find the satisfaction, happiness, and direction necessary for a successful and happy future.


1 comment:

christina said...

You're way too hard on yourself, Johnny D. Take your PRs and celebrate them. Stop saying "I wasn't happy with that" ... you bust your ass and are getting better every day. Sheesh.