Training Summary

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Crossfit Florian Grand Opening

I was really looking forward to this Grand Opening.   Bill and Beau have set up a fantastic box and have built up a strong cadre of athletes practically overnight.   It was also a chance to catch up with old friends who train at different boxes but there to celebrate the occasion.

Celebration WOD 
3 Rounds
21 Box Jumps 24/20
15 Thrusters 95/65
9 Pull Ups


It was no surprise that this was a very well organized and run event.   The first heat went off at 11am and my heat was the 2nd to last of the day.  Bill and Beau did a nice job matching up competitors and hooked me up by including Lonnie Attaman in my heat.  Lonnie was one of the 20 Athletes in the  45-50 year old Masters Division to qualify for the finals!  He entered the competition in 20th place and moved up to 6th place overall against top caliber competition.   I felt like this was  good test for me.  It was great to go head to head with Bubba at the Garage Games and now Mr Ataman.   

12:40 Heat
1. *John Durocher
2. *Barb Fain
3. *Lonnie Ataman
4. *Mike Golden
5. Caitlin Golden
6. Alison Nilan
7. Rachel Rose
8. Kathy Langen

It is always good to go towards the end as you at least know the score that has to be beaten. I think it was either 6:15 or 6:30. I choose a spot with my back to the rest of the competitors so I would just focus on me and only know where I stood once we got to the pull-up section. A good first round put me neck and neck with Lonnie. Box jumps were definitely Not easy. I need to work those a lot more. Maybe some Tabata box jumps next week. 2nd round I think I broke up the Thrusters. Pull-ups no problem once I took a quick breath. 3rd round labored thru box jumps and had to break up thrusters 7, 4 - 4. Pullups - 9 straight! Broke 6 minutes 5:55. Which at the point was fastest for the day.

I was completely wrecked. I mean worse than that time I blew up on Fran which unfortunately was video taped. My head was throbbing and it was all i could do to breathe. It took me close to 15 minutes before I could really stand and function.

 

Now that was over it was time for the main attraction.  The final heat had some real studs - John Mcevoy &  Mike Power who both made it to the final 18 in the garage games,  Paul Teehan who won the Turkey Throwdown and Marc Vigneau who was on the Crossfit Cynergy team for the regionals.  Think about the talent in the room for a friendly wod for a grand opening.  It makes you think how far crossfit has come in 6 years. 

As predicted it what an epic battle.  It came down to McEvoy and Teehan with Paul T winning by just a few seconds.  Marc Vigneau finished shortly after and Power rocked it even though he had a strained hamstring.  As you can see from the photo the shirts are off and boys mean business.   The crowd went nuts when Mcevoy stripped his off in the 2nd round.  In fact I saw two women scurry over to get a better look at Teehan.  They certainly fared no better in the post wod pain category.  They were both wrecked.   The key difference is that they were both up in just a few minutes and ready for whatever was next.  Anybody know where I can find the fountain of youth?

Total Carnage


2 comments:

Tony No Bread said...

It wasn't truly a WOD until they took their shirts off!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. That was a fun time. Love being a member of CFF!

-Rachel Rose