Training Summary

Friday, April 29, 2011

Handling the Truth

I did my final Open Wod today.  When I went over to the house of Craic I was feeling spent and spent the entire walk over debating whether I should wait another day before I tried it.  I have to say that this 7 weeks has been taken a lot of the fun and enthusiasm out of Crossfit for me.  I spent most of my time trying to figure out what day I could practice and then when I could get the WOD in.  For at least 3 of the wods I pretty much walked off a red eye or arrived at the gym after a week of travel spent.  Not making an excuses but rather commenting on the affect that mental state and lack of rest has on performance.

Sadly I didnt hit any of the targets I set in my mind for any of the workouts.   This part is discouraging.  It would have been nice to just hit one.  I missed one by 1 rep and this still has me pissed.  I think another reason that some of the fun went away is the full visibility of where you stand.   Its a matter of not wanting to know the truth.  Jack Nicholson's character in a Few Good Men, was spot on - I cant handle the truth or better yet dont want to know the truth.   As a 40 year old athlete fighting to maintain performance its a bit depressing to know that no matter how hard you work its nearly impossible to hang with the 20 years and its made crystal clear on the standings page.

There are some ways around that mindset and this competition demonstrated to me i need to work on them.  If this seems vaque take a look at this video which proves a link between performance your ability to trick yourself. Click this link  Self Deception

Ok now back to the WOD,  What I told Coach Johnny Irish was that I knew how to crush this workout after doing a practice WOD on wednesday.  Its quite easy just dont get tired!  How hard is that. 

Open Wod #6

WOD
7min to get as high up the ladder as possible
3 Thrusters @ 100lbs
3 Chest to Bar Pullups
6 Thrusters @ 100lbs
6 Chest to Bar Pullups
9 Thrusters @ 100lbs
9 Chest to Bar Pullups
etc ….
= 102 reps = Through round 15 plus 12 Thruster.

I did the first 3 rounds(3,6,9 and I think 12) unbroken which was awesome and then fell completely off. I got tired. In fact I was shocked when I looked at the clock and hadnt used that much time to get to that point.  From then on the clock went into hyper drive and my heart, and lungs seized up. I couldnt get a breath or recover.  

Looking forward to the normal training routine.

1 comment:

John McEvoy said...

You did great on all the WOD's bro. You tried your best and that's all you can do. With you're job + crazy schedule you're lucky you even got to do ll of them. If sectionals had been held at a weekend competition you probably would not have even been able to do it.
Regardless its over. Lots of new fun events coming over the next few months.