Training Summary

Sunday, February 25, 2018

C.R.A.S.H.-B. Sprints - M50 2000 meter

C.R.A.S.H.-B. Sprints - M50 2000 meter

 I was really looking forward to this race even though I didnt make weight for the lightweight division.  We had a good turnout from Craic:
  1. J Brendan O'Donobhain - 11:15AM / #9
  2. Anthony DeMusis - 10:30AM / #17
  3. John R. Craven - 10:30AM / # 43
  4. David Murray - 10:30AM / # 12
  5. Dennis Mahoney - 9:30AM / # 33
  6. Plus Steph Woodall's Mom 
The plan was to go out with 4-5 strokes to get the wheel turning and then settle in.   The group I was rowing against went out of the shoot very fast.  I elected to sit back and bide my time.  I knew that if I went too fast too early I would be toast.   

I introduced myself to my judge and he was a super nice guy.  He asked if I wanted him to coxswain for me and I said I think I am good.  Instead of the 3,2,1 go of crossfit that is replaced by a 3 step start procedure "Sit ready/Attention/Row" and off you go,  They let you grab the handle at Sit Ready which I find strange. The race started and I felt pretty damn good but stayed within my plan even though i was in 4th place after the first 500, i think at one point I was even in 5th,    Stayed on plan, although it was a little harder to tell your pace as they were showing your active pace but not average pace.   You could see where you sat in relation to rowers behind you and ahead of you.     I just tried to stay steady,   Halfway thru still feeling good and I had moved up to 3rd place.   Now the real work was starting and I dont really remember picking up my pace but I was moving up.   The crowd was getting into it and I was surging.  Now they started calling my name in the race commentary and that lifts you up even more. I had moved into 1st thru the first 1500. My judge was not cheering me on, which was another nice boost.   The split might even have been my fastest 2000m split. I hit 350m to go and it was getting really hard, I mean really hard.    This is where my judge really helped me.  He started asking me to put a 1:39 on the board and to really pick up the pace.  This encouragement really kept me focused when I was doubting whether I really wanted it that badly to really get deep in the pain cave.  He said 15 more stroked and this even took my mind off the pain as I tried to calculate whether that was actually what I needed to do to finish.  I clearly wasnt able to process that info so I just stayed with it and then it was all over.   My eardrums were pounding with the sound of my heart and I was pretty wrecked.    Pretty thrilled with taking over 4 seconds off of my PR.







No comments: